ELM327 clone?

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
freemont
How the heck did I end up here?

ELM327 clone?

Post by freemont » 2011 Sep 16 15:55

Hello,
could one of the elm327 clones be useful to monitor (and eventually inject) can messages or is it too slow?
I'm not scared by the custom programming I'd have to do, but I'm lazy and I don't want to do it if it turns out to be useless.
I'm thinking of the cheap clones on dealextreme, that cost less than 20€, while the cheapest "pure" can-usb adapter is 99€, and for some light experiment it's too much.
DIY adapters are out of the question ;-)

mazx

Re: ELM327 clone?

Post by mazx » 2011 Dec 14 13:44

I've looked at ELM micros a while ago and didn't find anything that would make me think that I can't use them for monitoring CAN bus. So theoretically, ELMs can be used for doing just that but then again someone has to try it 1st and address all of the integration issues. :)

In my case, I had to monitor three different CAN buses by one micro so I had to go with custom designed solution. The ELM chip was out of the question because of the cost factor and its a lot easier to interact with three SPI slaves (MCP2515 - SPI CAN controller) then dealing with three serial connections on a micro with only one UART port.

fguarneri

Re: ELM327 clone?

Post by fguarneri » 2019 Apr 19 20:52

The genuine ELM is the right direction to do this. Clones seldom will have all command set implemented and may fail to perform some interaction commands. I had facing some problems with clone ELM and when I changed to another adapter (thanks to OHP) all issues have blown out. A way to test the quality of your adapter is to execute some advance AT commands like AT PPS, AT SD and AT RD. Rarely a clone will be able to execute them. A cheap option is:
OHP ELMconfig Forscan OBD2 Adapter with MS-CAN & HS-CAN Switch for Ford DIY Diagnostics on Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY/