CANUSB To '09 Dodge Challenger

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
TomHeiber
How the heck did I end up here?

CANUSB To '09 Dodge Challenger

Post by TomHeiber »

I'm having an issue maybe someone can help out with.

I got an '09 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 I'm trying to sniff CAN message from. I spliced the CAN-USB at the radio harness. I triple checked all connections.

I have connected the DB9 connector pins:
DB9 Pin 2 (CAN_L) - White Wire (CAN B -)
DB9 Pin 7 (CAN_H) - White/Orange Wire (CAN B +)
DB9 Pin 3 (CAN_GND) - Black/Green (Ground) (I tried disconnecting this in later tests)

Running driver 2.06.00 from CANUSB site. Laptop is running Windows 7 x64. The CAN_USB initializes with triple LED blink and Terminal access works where I can send the commands to it

I've tried all CAN Baudrate options through both the native connection and the COM port. Below 100Kbit I have no response/messages from the CAN Bus. At 100kBit/s and 125kBit/s the car responds with symptoms (Dash lights up, headlights come on, music cuts out), it all goes back to normal as soon as I close the CAN connection, still no messages. At 250Kbit I get no response/messages

The Red LED comes on the CANUSB when "Open". Green never comes on.

Anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with?

Tom

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Re: CANUSB To '09 Dodge Challenger

Post by rtgree01 »

The earlier radios used 83.3Kbit... I'm not sure when, but the next generation radios use 125Kbit rate. I've got the old generation stuff. But I thought that others have had success with the newer stuff... I've got software that will decode stuff for the Charger... maybe it can help you... are you a software developer? I'd be willing to bet that you could modify my code to work for you.... It uses the FTDI CDM driver which is the same driver you are using (I think).

As for how the lights work, I think that the red light only goes out when all messages are read from the device to the computer. If any messages are overwritten in the buffer, the red light will turn on. It will also turn on when the CAN transceiver detects that there are bus errors. As long as the rest of the car acts properly, I wouldn't consider the red light a major problem. But since you are describing lots of other things going wrong, I'd say that you need the proper bit rate and the right wires.... When all those are good, you should be able to sniff messages...

I'm attaching my software... It will need to be adapted to your setup in order to work... The code is in C#, and requires you to install the "CANUSB DLL & ActiveX Driver:" that is on the Lawicel download page.

I hope you make some progress.....

Ryan
Attachments
DodgeViewer_CANUSB.zip
(87.93 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

TomHeiber

Post by TomHeiber »

Thanks for the reply. I am a software developer by trade with C# being my primary language. I'm positive that the wiring is correct. I'm thinking about writing a small program that will simply go through each bitrate combination code and keep trying until it receives a CAN message.

Tom

beekinLeadMan

Post by beekinLeadMan »

Hey Tom,
Had any luck as of yet? I have an '05 Magnum and I too got the CANUSB model 7001 and get nothing but a red light. The manual says it's because the CANbus is off but it's the radio and it is DEFINITELY not off.
I tried to get EasySync to help me out about 3 months ago and they weren't of much support so I'd be more than happy to work with ya because we may both be having the same problem.

Let me know what you've tried and perhaps two heads will be better than one in figuring it out.

Thx

beekinLeadMan

Post by beekinLeadMan »

Hey Tom,

Ifound out from EasySync today that the red light will come on if you have data going across the network at the time you open a connection. If your adapter is the coffee colored one (USBCANplus), then you HAVE to open a connection before you stream data or the red error LED will light up.
Don't know if that's the exact issue you're facing but I'm struggling with getting proper data. Thought it was the red LED but I don't think it is fully my problem. I'm gonna keep searching but let me know if that helps you or not.

Good luck

docBliny

Post by docBliny »

I've also got a Challenger and some C# skills. I'm working on a more general library to access the CAN bus. I working on this with limited free time, so I'm not sure when I'll have anything really usable, but feel free to contact me if you're interested in seeing where I'm at or collaborating.

//Tomi B.

mazx

Post by mazx »

I know the thread is a bit old but hopefully someone might find this useful...

I've had a chance to work on Charger 2011 CAN bus staff (CAN C and CAN IHS) awhile ago and if my memory serves me well CAN C runs at 500kb and CAN IHS (radio, etc) - 125kb. This might be the case for Challenger '09 models as well.

If you get strange vehicle feedback as random lights flashing, relays clicking, etc., its the sign that your adapter runs at a wrong baud rate and you are essentially bringing down all of the CAN communications to a screeching halt. Depending on the hardware and API you have, you might be able to set your adapter into "listen"-only mode so it doesn't try "talking" to the CAN and thus creating havoc if configured to wrong baud rate. Once in "listen"-only mode you can cycle through all of the baud rates on your adapter until you see data that makes sense then you know you have correct baud rate.

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

any chance you'd be willing to capture some data off your 11 Charger?

I'd like to see if Dodge kept the same protocol from the old (slow) rate...

Ryan

mazx

Post by mazx »

I don't have access to the Charger vehicle any more. It was one of those pre-production vehicles that we had for a week to do all our checks and tests.

On the other hand, I just bought '10 Challenger and getting some CAN captures is on my TODO list. From what I was told, Charger and Challenger vehicles have a lot in common in terms of wiring and comms. So it will be interesting to see if that's so.

Do you have any particular message IDs in mind?

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

I'm mostly interested in the interior bus... Radio, Amplifier, Sirius Satellite, Steering Wheel Controls....

CAN IDs of
0x09F : Radio Mode
0x394 : EVIC Display
0x3D0 : Amplifier
0x3B0 : Change Sirius Channel
0x1BD : Sirius Status
0x3BD : Sirius Text
0x3A0 : Steering Wheel buttons

At least... that's what they are on my 07 Charger...
I've designed a device that emulates the head unit... So it controls the Sirius, Amplifier, EVIC, and uses the Steering wheel buttons. I've replaced the head unit with this device and a computer. Some other people have expressed interest in my device, and I now have a circuit card designed to do what I've hacked together. I am wondering if this device could apply to other model years....

Thanks for looking into this!

Ryan