Activating and controlling a Chrysler RES radio (a working system!)

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
BiggRanger
How the heck did I end up here?

Activating and controlling a Chrysler RES radio (a working system!)

Post by BiggRanger »

I'm in the process of documenting the CAN messages (IHS and C) for 2 Jeeps, and a dodge. In the process of doing this I'm also tearing down the Dodge and parting it out. One thing I found interesting is the radio needs to receive CAN messages in order to turn it on and activate it, so I created this little project to do just that.

https://github.com/BiggRanger/Chrysler- ... -Interface

One of the other interesting discoveries I made was the radio unit does not keep the time, it only sets the time and displays the time. The SKREEM module is the timekeeper and broadcasts the time on ID 0x3EC as a 3 byte packet (HH, MM, SS) every second. If the radio does not receive the 0x3EC message it displays "no clock". When setting the time the radio sends out a 4 byte packet with the ID 0x0F0 (0x03, HH, MM, SS) which the SKREEM module listens for.

Notes: This is for a 2008 Dodge Durango which uses a 83.333Kbps interior CAN (the SKREEM module is also on the interior bus), the interior can on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler uses a 125Kbps interior CAN and the message ID's are completely different (and the SKREEM module is on the CAN-C bus).
RadioWiring.jpg
RadioON.jpg
ericissy

Re: Activating and controlling a Chrysler RES radio (a working system!)

Post by ericissy »

Hello,
I have a 2013 jeep jk, I tried some times ago to pwr up my radio on a bench but without succes !
I made a canbus module (arduino) to connect a 2DIN chineese radio with the steering wheel command, it run ok
so do you have more informations about 2013 jk wrangler radio ouside the car (on a bench) ?
Sincerely
Eric
BiggRanger

Re: Activating and controlling a Chrysler RES radio (a working system!)

Post by BiggRanger »

My 2010 Wrangler uses 125KBPS CAN. Unfortunately I don't have the radio anymore so I can't play around with it.
From my data logs I can see that CAN ID 0x20B is the key position, it's a 2 byte message, byte 0 is the key position make this 0x81, and byte 1 is always 0x00. This message is broadcast every 100mS. But like the my Durango radio, it'll probably need a few more messages to turn on.

Like everything else electronic I've thrown away, it only took 2 weeks to regret tossing the old Jeep radio after replacing it with a Kenwood.