is it possible to emulate oem usb module with adruino?

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
fuzzysig
How the heck did I end up here?

is it possible to emulate oem usb module with adruino?

Post by fuzzysig » 2018 Sep 03 22:07

im just curious if adruino can be programmed to emulate the oem usb module interface so i can use it to play flac files and actually be able to browse the file/folder like i would normally with oem usb module ( on honda/acura)
im reading about adruino but still dont know what its capabilities are completely

latonita
What's hacking?

Re: is it possible to emulate oem usb module with adruino?

Post by latonita » 2018 Sep 05 12:25

I'm puzzled. I'm note sure I understand what do you want to achieve and what is usb module.
Check your car service manual and specifically electical wiring schemas. Find your usb module there and post picture here - what wires go from this module and where.
Then we can think what can be done.

When you say arduino - only latest with powerful MCUs are capable of usb communication. Not the atmega328p or atmega2560 based.
however you need to know what your car requires. maybe its just USB connector and lines go to head unit :))

fuzzysig
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by fuzzysig » 2018 Sep 06 20:38

honda mid 2000s uses a separate usb module i dont have a picture of it.
all the aftermarket usb modules like grom and usa-spec use either aux or sat radio interface and do a horrible job at integrating the menus and browsing from factory hedunit
so i thought maybe this could emulate the factory usb module and also have oem like browsing + ability to play flac

im completely new to this and only have a very basic idea of what arduino is and R-pi

nemiro
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by nemiro » 2018 Sep 10 10:51

You're going to need to take a step back and first get immersed in RPi and/or Arduino before tackling this subject. This is definitely not a beginner's project that you are talking about.