New from Louisiana

Introduce yourself here!
papacueball
How the heck did I end up here?

New from Louisiana

Post by papacueball » 2011 Jul 08 15:20

Hi everybody. I found this forum through lxforums, where I signed up after buying a 2011 Dodge Charger. It has the 8.4n radio and Alpine surround sound system, and while it sounds very good, there are some things I'd like to do to it, namely adding an Audison Bitone.1 and more powerful amps.

From what I gather, the head unit has a fixed output voltage and sends can bus signals to the amp for volume adjustment. What I'd like to do is probably backwards from what most people want. I would like to keep the factory headunit and replace the factory amp with a processor and multiple amps while retaining the car's volume control. Has anyone done something similar to this, or have any idea how to proceed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I found this thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40 . The last couple of posts suggests that if the amp is not connected, that the older head units revert to speaker level outputs. I don't suppose i could get that lucky. Does anyone know if that is the case with the 8.4n?