Jeep Wrangler Canbus Junkie

Introduce yourself here!
ve7it
How the heck did I end up here?

Jeep Wrangler Canbus Junkie

Post by ve7it » 2010 Oct 25 20:47

Hi Guys,
Just bought a 2010 wrangler basic because mechanically it is one of the few vehicles were you can still see and access most of the mechanical systems. It has a real frame with all the bits bolted on, so I am hoping it has a long life without too much time in the dealership. I am amazed at all the computer related stuff... if its got a wire connected it is probably run my one of the many computer modules. I am a retired automation engineer (worked mostly in designing scanning and optimizing systems in sawmills) with strong embedded processor experience. I just have this urge to know how everything works... the Jeep looks like a great testbed and CAN seems to be the key. There seems to be remarkably little information available on the Jeep CAN subsystems. I have a 2007 service manual, so the wiring isnt an issue, but understanding what is firing around the wires is more than a little interesting. I hope this group has a few geeks with similar interests!. One project I am interested in is building a replacement dash cluster, but a start would be just eaves dropping on the cluster communication to try and decipher all the instrument control messages.
Anyway... lots of reading to do.
cheers
Lawrence from Nanoose Bay

ByteBuster

Re: Jeep Wrangler Canbus Junkie

Post by ByteBuster » 2011 Dec 06 12:51

Hi

I just found your post. I'm planing on doing exactly the same with my Wrangler :-)
But in fact I had no contact with CAN Bus systems yet - but I did alot of software engineering in Home Automation and Medical Controllers.
So I guess this will help me in understanding and analyzing the protocol...

Did you get any reply to your request or documentation to the CAN control codes?
Maybe we can cooperate in this project ;-)

Cheers

Martin

thornrag

Post by thornrag » 2012 Aug 22 14:19

Third-annual post to this thread, it looks like. Still waters must run deep around here!

Similar story — I've long been after info on my '05 WK's CAN-Bus and its various components. I've also been tinkering with Arduino for the past year or so. So I'm here to start putting 2 and 2 together.

I plan to see if I can whip up a quick real-time engine data display, just to make sure I know what I'm doing. Then I want to see if I can enable mirror-tilt-on-reverse, which supposedly requires a starscan tool — pah! But ultimately, I want to rig up a proper iPhone integration kit not trapped in the days of the 3G iPod.

yosemitesammy217

Post by yosemitesammy217 » 2013 Nov 21 04:49

Dear all: I've built a CAN network logger from a beagle bone black, a CANbus cape and running Linux 3.8 using SocketCAN and can-utils... Collecting data is moved from a hardware -> software engineering / programming issue -> Linux system configuration/ scripting issue ... It is as simple as "candump can0 can1 -cae -l" to dump both CAN C and CAN b to a log file for processing... Notes on my blog site: http://the8thlayerof.net

Sam

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2013 Nov 21 08:47

Sounds awesome! Definitely going to check this out..

Thanks for posting it!
LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

djdk

Post by djdk » 2013 Dec 02 01:23

Hey guys,

I'm another wannabe JK hacker. I've got an 07 JK with no electrical mods yet. Not even sure what I want to do... but I want to start figuring out how it all works. I have a small amount of experience with CAN bus from previous projects. The most relevant project involved building a dashboard display for an electric car that read motor and battery information from CAN lines.

Let me know if you find any relevant information and I'll do the same. I might still know a couple people working in Jeep driveline engineering... doubt they can help though.

Dan

yosemitesammy217

Post by yosemitesammy217 » 2013 Dec 10 05:48