How did everyone end up here?

Introduce yourself here!
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

How did everyone end up here?

Post by rtgree01 » 2010 Mar 01 19:38

I've noticed that there have been a lot of new members signing up to the forum.... So how did you end up here? What are you looking for?
I found the site a couple of years ago just after I bought my 2007 Dodge Charger. I was wanting to put in a carputer (see www.mp3car.com). I found a handy tool from linuxkidd that captured the can bus data into a database that you could search for patterns. I have since coded up my own tools that let me watch live data, record the data, playback the data, simulate the radio, control the sirius receiver, simulate & control the VES (dvd player/aux input). I've decoded a lot of other information too. I've published a simple plugin that you can use with the RideRunner front end software...

I want to move from the canusb device to a micro-controller device. It wouldn't need the computer to be on to do what I need it to do... Anybody have hardware experience and want to help?

What do you want to do with your car? Do you want to tie into the engine diagnostics, or interior stuff? I know there hasn't been much activity on this forum, but we also need you to introduce yourself and tell us what you are interested in...

So... Who are you, and what are you doing here? :D

Blown7
What's hacking?

Re: How did everyone end up here?

Post by Blown7 » 2010 Mar 26 10:40

I am Blown7 on the forums, to be honest I get on here about twice a year but have lots of data captured over the years.
I really should bring this site up to date on the Can Bus stuff.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2010 Mar 26 11:07

Hello Blown7,
We'd definitely appreciate your input. Any information you share will benefit a lot of people.

Thanks,
LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

Blown7
What's hacking?

Post by Blown7 » 2010 Mar 26 14:54

linuxkidd wrote:Hello Blown7,
We'd definitely appreciate your input. Any information you share will benefit a lot of people.

Thanks,
LK
Well all my work is on the C bus as I'm not sure all who have read my thread on PCM replacement.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/show ... php?t=4504
But as the last stage I mapped all the C bus info that is shared by the 5 nodes on the Jeep bus
PCM
TCM
FDCM
ESM
ABS
I'm also a moderator on the Carhack site.

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2010 Mar 28 14:13

That's cool!!!

What kinds of thing have you decoded on the other bus? I started reading the thread you posted... but that is a long thread.... I will have to read up on the OBD-ii protocol that uses the CAN bus... I'm not sure if there is much I want to use off the engine bus... maybe just the odometer and instantaneous mileage.... maybe even a remote start capability....

Ryan

Blown7
What's hacking?

Post by Blown7 » 2010 Mar 28 17:58

rtgree01 wrote:That's cool!!!

What kinds of thing have you decoded on the other bus?

Ryan
Pretty much everything.

BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey » 2010 Mar 30 14:16

Hey

I ended up on here because I was part of lxforums.com and was looking into putting a new head unit in my car but every head unit I came across didnt have all the features I wanted, long story short I also ended up on mp3car.com and wanted to put a pc in my car instead but would only do it if I was able to retain my steering wheel controls. so I started reading and here I am.

I was starting to sniff packets and working on getting the steering wheel control messages when Ryan u put ur software up on here...

I actually havent had my laptop (car pc isnt done yet) hooked up in a while since winter just ended but im looking forward to getting my carpc in there and using it to start sniffin around the canbus again

SenatorIvy
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by SenatorIvy » 2010 Apr 27 18:57

I ended up on here because the CANbus is a strange and frightening thing. I really just want to put a carPC in place of my current MyGig crap. When I figured out I'd need to be all CANbusy to use the factory amp, I came here.

Blown7
What's hacking?

Post by Blown7 » 2010 May 18 07:33

SenatorIvy wrote:I ended up on here because the CANbus is a strange and frightening thing. I really just want to put a carPC in place of my current MyGig crap. When I figured out I'd need to be all CANbusy to use the factory amp, I came here.
Nothing strange nothing frightening, after 3 years I can say the learning curve isn't steep at first but when you get the basics of the Chrysler stuff it gets easier. Once you get proficiency and GOOD Can tools it's pretty easy.Once you figure out Chryslers can KWP2000 and the commands and data packets then it's easier.

The big part is buy the best tools you can afford. And be prepared to spend lots of time watching for changes.

TRS300

Post by TRS300 » 2010 Sep 29 13:53

Blown7 wrote:
SenatorIvy wrote:I ended up on here because the CANbus is a strange and frightening thing. I really just want to put a carPC in place of my current MyGig crap. When I figured out I'd need to be all CANbusy to use the factory amp, I came here.
Nothing strange nothing frightening, after 3 years I can say the learning curve isn't steep at first but when you get the basics of the Chrysler stuff it gets easier. Once you get proficiency and GOOD Can tools it's pretty easy.Once you figure out Chryslers can KWP2000 and the commands and data packets then it's easier.

The big part is buy the best tools you can afford. And be prepared to spend lots of time watching for changes.
Can you point me to a bullet list of "How to get started?" I'm so new I dont even know what I don't know... Like when you say "Get the best tools you can afford". I donlt even know what tools you speak of or what my choices are... You say the learning curve isn't steep but I feel lost and not sure how to begin. I've done database application development in Visual Basic & some limited Java script... I think I unserstand what CAN is and why it's there. I sort of understand packects... I just have no clue on what I need to get to start to view these packets, or send a message... And ultimately, have a micocontroller plugged into the system doing some type of program I've developed... I'm wondering if this is is all beyond someone with my limited skill level...

bellatrix

Post by bellatrix » 2010 Nov 18 18:40

I am a newbie to this forum. I was looking at adding some bells and whistles to my Challenger and wanted to get familiar with the packet busses that are in use. I stumbled onto this forum recently while starting my research. I have been doing ASIC design (mostly packet switching) for quite some time now, and have a fairly solid EE background. I like to tinker, and hope to be able to add something meaningful to this forum going forward.

rtgree01, are you still exploring the possibility of a custom micro-controller based CANbus interface design (please excuse me if I missed another thread, as I am still playing catch up).