How the heck did I end up here?

What is our first goal?

Post by Rev.Hammer » 2005 Aug 02 20:12

What are we trying to accomplish first?
I think I busted my smart bone!

BrilliantBlackHemi

Post by BrilliantBlackHemi » 2005 Aug 02 21:44

How does what we are doing here support, augment, compete with what JonW is doing? He is making and testing devices to emulate VES and allow use of things like IPOD aux interfaces and XM Sat radio. He's also figured out how to detect the Nag screen requiring you to press enter on the NAV and he auto sends the enter so you never see it. Seems he is decipering and responding to CAN bus packets. Maybe we could get some of his insight? :idea:

Rev.Hammer

Post by Rev.Hammer » 2005 Aug 02 22:31

We should not be 'competing' as such. This is not a race for the swift, the tortoise shall be the king of bulletproof thoroughness.
WE must make every struggle towards perfection.

This is me talking:
1: be able to understand and emulate communication process in I/O.
2: be able to read/write directly to ECU memory with loadable presets in parameters with a failsafe mode.
3:be able to modify, utilize, and create code at will to produce desired results
4: be able to interface with the canbus ecu system via laptop real-time in an easy to use fashion.

Am I missing something?

Rev.Hammer

Post by Rev.Hammer » 2005 Aug 02 22:42

This is a situation where he end use will have the Grandmaster Chess skills of a rutabaga and still be able to use it. It should be flawless and simple because the more you have to pay attention to how it works the more ammunition idiots have.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 02 23:33

BrilliantBlackHemi wrote:Seems he is decipering and responding to CAN bus packets. Maybe we could get some of his insight? :idea:
He has deciphered a lot of CAN bus data. However, he is unwilling to share. ( He gets bent about people saying this, but I can't change the truth. ) I PM'ed him several times on 300cforums asking for data for myself, and he wouldn't share any specific information on getting into, or decoding what was on the CAN bus. That is why I started this project. JonW is making a product en masse. He aims to sell his product to those who will buy. He has put a significant amount of time and money into his projects, and deserves to recoup his losses.

Part of this project will parallel JonW's efforts. But this project will go beyond what JonW has done.

We will be able to emulate VES and Sirius radio units... We will understand how to send 'Enter' to the NAG screen.

But, ultimately, I'd like to identify every ID on the CAN Buses. ( CAN-B [interior], CAN-C [Engine/Transmission, etc]. The ultimate goal will be to have a full understanding of the ECU, PCM, and all other comms traffic that traverses the CAN bus. This project may not directly ever 'Flash' the ECU, but you never know... it may. There are MANY smart people supporting this project. Right now, we're on the 'Geek' phase... Gathering and decoding data. Once that is done, we'll be into the 'Make stuff' phase for many interior CAN-B projects ( AMP emulator, Sirius Emulator, VES emulator, Floor headlight dimmer, and anything else anyone can come up with ). And in Parallel, I'm certain that we will have enough interest that someone will start figuring out HOW to flash the ECU.

I don't think we will be able to do much w/ the data inside the ECU ( as far as setting our own values ) until we figure out how to Flash it. To the best of my knowledge, You can't just send new variable information to the ECU, and it take it... We will have to Flash the new values into it's Flash ROM.

If anyone knows people who are good at that type of thing, send em over! We will need MUCH more help when that time comes!
If you can read this, the light is still red.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Re: What is our first goal?

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 02 23:35

Rev.Hammer wrote:What are we trying to accomplish first?
First thing is to map as many of the CAN Bus ID's to the node responsible for the traffic.

Once we do that, then we can target the nodes we want to do stuff with. ( whether it's the Sirius unit, the Steering wheel controls, AMP, Accelerator pedal!! :) [ dunno if that's actually on the CAN bus] ... whatever.. )

Just mapping the data we gather will be a very long process.
If you can read this, the light is still red.

tonyt
Site Admin

Post by tonyt » 2005 Aug 03 06:43

Basically we are here to help our brothers and sisters over at LXforums or anywhere else that somebody has a vehicle with a CANBus that needs a good hackin'! No profit to be made here, unless we are the first to figure out the ECU! :wink:
Share what you learn....

PAC
What's hacking?

Post by PAC » 2005 Aug 03 23:12

linuxkidd wrote:
BrilliantBlackHemi wrote:Seems he is decipering and responding to CAN bus packets. Maybe we could get some of his insight? :idea:
He has deciphered a lot of CAN bus data. However, he is unwilling to share. ( He gets bent about people saying this, but I can't change the truth. ) I PM'ed him several times on 300cforums asking for data for myself, and he wouldn't share any specific information on getting into, or decoding what was on the CAN bus. That is why I started this project. JonW is making a product en masse. He aims to sell his product to those who will buy. He has put a significant amount of time and money into his projects, and deserves to recoup his losses.

Part of this project will parallel JonW's efforts. But this project will go beyond what JonW has done.

We will be able to emulate VES and Sirius radio units... We will understand how to send 'Enter' to the NAG screen.

But, ultimately, I'd like to identify every ID on the CAN Buses. ( CAN-B [interior], CAN-C [Engine/Transmission, etc]. The ultimate goal will be to have a full understanding of the ECU, PCM, and all other comms traffic that traverses the CAN bus. This project may not directly ever 'Flash' the ECU, but you never know... it may. There are MANY smart people supporting this project. Right now, we're on the 'Geek' phase... Gathering and decoding data. Once that is done, we'll be into the 'Make stuff' phase for many interior CAN-B projects ( AMP emulator, Sirius Emulator, VES emulator, Floor headlight dimmer, and anything else anyone can come up with ). And in Parallel, I'm certain that we will have enough interest that someone will start figuring out HOW to flash the ECU.

I don't think we will be able to do much w/ the data inside the ECU ( as far as setting our own values ) until we figure out how to Flash it. To the best of my knowledge, You can't just send new variable information to the ECU, and it take it... We will have to Flash the new values into it's Flash ROM.

If anyone knows people who are good at that type of thing, send em over! We will need MUCH more help when that time comes!
If you are going to mess with the CAN-C network, i would get the CAN stack from Vector. The big 3 recommends using Vector.

Vector

Beware though, I was told the stack costs about $50,000 and is specific to the vehicle and microcontroller. If you change either one, its another $50,000.