Charger Radio Emulator

Code to run on Windows for CAN interfaces.
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Charger Radio Emulator

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 Jan 18 13:50

I've got some code that will emulate the radio... I'm able to control my sirius radio, control the amplifier, lock/unlock the doors, pop the trunk, and show stuff on the EVIC. I also wrote a plugin for RoadRunner to control everything. If anybody is interested in the code or project, PM me. I'd be happy to show this off. I would love to decode more information, but I haven't had the chance to decode more. I would like to put more in if anybody else has stuff they could tell me...

Ryan

EDIT:

NEW TOOL:
DodgeViewer
Is a tool to view the status of all decoded information in the Dodge CAN Bus. It also has 20 filters that you can use to select message ids to look at live data. Take a look at what it can do. I'd be happy to make changes, and if there is any CAN data that someone has decoded that isn't in the tool, let me know!!!
http://svn.canhack.org/browse/index.cgi ... xe?view=co
Last edited by rtgree01 on 2009 May 02 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

BCasey
What's hacking?

Re: Charger Radio Emulator

Post by BCasey » 2009 Jan 26 20:38

I'm super interested. I sent you a PM

I'll be buying a CanUsb adapter in a couple weeks and I wanna start doing pretty much the same thing you have done.

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 Jan 26 21:22

I'm still cleaning up the code... but I could probably get the binary to you... The road runner skin I worked on was based off of DigitalFX 4. Are you interested in coding or just using?

Ryan

BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey » 2009 Jan 27 10:17

interested in coding

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 Jan 28 19:18

I'm working on finding a place to post the code... LinuxKidd has offered to host....

Ryan

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2009 Jan 28 19:59

Subversion repo has been configured for CANHack.org. You can access it HERE. As of this moment, rtgree01 hasn't uploaded yet, but I'm certain he will shortly.

Only rtgree01 and myself have publish access to this project. If you desire publish access, please PM rtgree01 to discuss your contributions and he can contact me to have your account added.

Thanks all!!
LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey » 2009 Jan 29 12:41

downloaded the code and took a quick peek at it yesterday and it looks great. I'll have to wait for my canUsb to actually start doing some logging and what not but great work so far

BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey » 2009 May 01 13:47

Hey,

I dunno how often you check this site / thread Ryan but I've run into a little problem. well 2

first one is that when I run your code my evic changes from metric to imperial. I'm in Canada so obviously this is a problem for me. I havent really looked into it to far as I just noticed it recently. I was wondering if anyone might know why this is. Is there a different start up message from US and Canada? Weird part is it stays in imperial until i go into my evic and select metric, even if i put the stock radio back in... anyway I'll take a look at this and figure out which message is changing it this weekend and post an update.

second problem is my amp doesnt seem to be getting turned on with the radio emulation software. I got everything plugged in, turn the car on and i start up your software but no sound ever comes across from my computer to the speakers in the car. I've a 3.5mm headphone jack that splits into the rear left and right + / - wires on the cars radio harness all plugged in, the laptop plays the sound and when i plug in this head phone jack the car gets nothing. I figured if I botched the soldering for the harness I've made that I'd get at the very least static but I get absolutely nothing.
Last edited by BCasey on 2009 May 01 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2009 May 01 14:03

With regard to passing audio to the factory amp, you only need to connect the audio output from the laptop to the REAR speaker inputs at the radio harness...

As far as the amp not turning on... I'll leave that to Ryan to answer since I've not looked at his code..

L8r,
LK

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 May 01 23:09

The audio lines that I used are:

Left Audio Signal (+): pin 4
Right Audio Signal (+): pin 16
Common Audio Signal (-): pin 17

Those are the signals that go to the stock amplifier.

As to the metric vs imperial, I have no idea. I have a new tool that I will upload to the subversion server. It was written with C#, and i was able to find a lot more stuff about the interior bus...
I would be interested to get a log of your system using the metric system... I might check out my system... but it might take some time...

glad to see somebody else using my software.....

Ryan

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 May 02 14:48

I finally uploaded the DodgeViewer tool..... It is in subversion...
svn co http://svn.canhack.org/browse/index.cgi ... dgeViewer/

Again, it is a C# application. I decided to try out C# and found that making simple user interface applications is EASY.
If you select a CAN message id from the drop down boxes, it will show that data... and supposedly it will change colors if the data changed from the last time it was received. BUT it looks like there are some errors on receiving or something because messages are showing that they have changed, but the data should not have changed.

A bunch of the decoded data has been put into the list on the left. If you have found something that could go in that list, add it, or tell me what to look for and I will add it for you.

This has been tested with Windows 7 and a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T R&T. No warranty is provided, nor is there a guarantee that any of this will work.... hopefully it does....

Ryan

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2009 May 02 14:50

Sweet Ryan! Thanks for the upload. Would it be possible to add an executable to the download? If so, feel free to add it as an attachment here. ( You could also edit your first post in this thread and turn it into an overall info / download links post.. )

Thanks!
LK

BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey » 2009 May 05 12:31

right on, ill take a look at the new tool when im at home.

I guess I'm gonna have to double check the wires n everything, pretty sure it was all wired correctly. I might have to debug through it to see whats going on. My evic comes up and changes with teh steering wheel controls n all that, is there a way to know if the amps is actually on? I know if I press vol up on the steering wheel that the message is received from my laptop and your software handles it appropriately but I have no idea if the amp is even on, my guess is that it is not...

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 May 05 18:26

Just to be certain... the wires that I used for audio are not the same as the rear audio lines.

Let me know how things go...

Ryan

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2009 Jun 04 20:21

Good News!!!

I've figured out that when I change the Language and Units from the EVIC, a corresponding bit changes in message 0x9f.

In the 8th byte (the last byte):
0x01 => Us units, English
0x11 => Metric units, English
0x02 => Us units, English
0x12 => Metric units, English
0x04 => Us units, Spanish
0x14 => Metric units, Spanish

I will look into fixing the radio emulator so you can tell it those options in a bit... for now you can change those yourself...

Ryan