Newbie Question (don't flame!): Door lock/unlock & ignition

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
whatisreal7
How the heck did I end up here?

Newbie Question (don't flame!): Door lock/unlock & ignition

Post by whatisreal7 » 2014 Dec 09 01:23

Hello! I have a question for the knowledgeable folks here. Understanding that car OEM's have different proprietary codes/ID's, are door lock/unlock codes generally accessible from the CAN bus via the OBD port, or are these codes are hidden on the OBD and need to be accessed elsewhere on the CAN? Some question for engine start/shut off.

thanks!

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Question (don't flame!): Door lock/unlock & ignit

Post by linuxkidd » 2014 Dec 09 14:21

It's my understanding that these commands are generally *not* available over the OBD2 port, with 1 exception. With Chrysler vehicles (my area of study), there is a gateway node that exists on all 3 CAN bus's.. Engine, Interior and OBD. With the right tools, Chrysler authenticates to the gateway and provides signals that go out to the other CAN buses.

I'm unsure if other manufacturers achieve the same thing, but would think it's highly likely that they do. Otherwise, firmware upgrades on modules which aren't part of the OBD CAN would be much tougher.

LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

whatisreal7

Post by whatisreal7 » 2014 Dec 10 00:49

Thanks for your response. Are you saying in your last paragraph that there's a chance that other OEM's CAN buses are also somehow linked via the gateway, and with proper tools/authentication, the OBD port can be given access to some of these codes/ID's?

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2014 Dec 10 09:30

It makes logical sense to have the capability to do this.. but, no guarantees they didn't accomplish firmware updates via a different method..

LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

nr0x
What's hacking?

Post by nr0x » 2015 Jan 27 13:08

Just my personal opinion, but it might make more sense to connect to the other busses separately, instead of using the OBD connector. IF there is a gateway, I have no idea how to get around it, nor have I heard anyone else. But if you DO manage to get through it, you're finally able to talk to the can bus, when you could have just tagged into the canbus wires in the first place, with another connector. If it were me, I would put a DB9 serial connector down next to the OBD port, and connect Power, Ground, and the various CANBUS wires to it. Then I could leave the OBD port completely alone, and have a connector dedicated to evil genius stuff that has already bypassed the gateway and talks directly to the bus.

DISCLAIMER: I never said I had good ideas that will always work. If you do this, you do it at your own risk. Your results may vary. Void where prohibited by law, Hail Hydra, and all that other stuff.

Wow, that was just off the top of my head, but I think I'm going to do that right now actually! I'll let you know how it goes.

NR0X

nr0x
What's hacking?

Post by nr0x » 2015 Jan 30 18:27

So I dug out an old 25 pin printer cable, cut one end off, and made a breakout that taps in to all the busses, and has plenty of room for other connections, like to the window switches, or whatever else i want on it. I'm gonna try and install an 8 channel relay driver board,with the intent of plugging it into this cable to bypass ignition and start the car from my phone. Sounds like you and I have the same ideas in mind.

blah_59

Re: Newbie Question (don't flame!): Door lock/unlock & ignition

Post by blah_59 » 2015 Jul 13 13:42

NR0X,

Have you worked any more on this? It sounds very interesting. If you have, can you give us some links to pictures?

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Re: Newbie Question (don't flame!): Door lock/unlock & ignition

Post by mrdennis87 » 2015 Nov 19 11:25

So I don't know if you've worked on this anymore.. But, I have an 03 Trailblazer I've been working with. I'm making a program on my PC, using a cable connected from pc to OBD2 port. I am able to connect, and sniff all of the CAN BUS packets. While sniffing the packets, I came across one that unlocks, and one that locks the doors. I was able to reconstruct them, and embed the functionality into my program. So, for GM.. I am able to do the locks function through OBD2 port. I've also been able to control most of the climate control, and windows.. Using ELM327, and C#