Amplifier Control

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
DonkeyB
How the heck did I end up here?

Amplifier Control

Post by DonkeyB » 2014 May 08 21:46

Brand new to CANbus hacking. I'm hoping to be able to control amplifier fading without a factory head unit. I have a 2007 jeep grand cherokee with Boston acoustics sound. Pioneer head unit connected to factory amp with a PAC module. If volume, bass, mid, and treble can be controlled that be a sweet bonus!!! Anyone know of a project like this?

codekey
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Re: Amplifier Control

Post by codekey » 2014 May 21 03:13

That PAC module already controls the Volume, fading, bass and treble. You just need to have what ever CAN interface send the same messages as the PAC module but change the data for the Volume, fade, etc.
Karl Yamashita
Electrical Engineer

DonkeyB
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by DonkeyB » 2014 Jul 22 01:24

Thanks, codekey!

I kind of fell off looking into this for a while. I've done some more research into this lately and did find a project similar on mp3car.com. A guy there, rtgre001, put together a plugin for a carputer program to control the boston amplifier on his Dodge Charger. Looking through his code i see that his controller continually re-sends CAN messages to the amplifier about every half second. So I'm curious, is the PAC module (RP4-CH11) going to also continuously send volume, fade, and eq settings to the factory amplifier? If it does, is there any way to over-ride or cancel messages being sent by the PAC module?

haven't plugged into the CAN system yet, but i do have an ELM327 to start tinkering when i feel a educated enough.

here's the post i found about the carputer program.
http://www.mp3car.com/worklogs/138257-2 ... ion-2.html

rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 » 2014 Jul 22 20:28

I'm here too...

:)