Using HU knob to control the CarPC

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
grigs
How the heck did I end up here?

Using HU knob to control the CarPC

Post by grigs »

I'm going to install the CarPC in my Opel Vectra C car and I'm thinking how to control the frontend software (Centrafuse) that will run on my CarPC. I don't have a touch screen and I don't like to use remote control or touchpad or trackball, etc. The PowerMeter and SpaceNavigator are OK for controlling but they are too big.
What I'm thinking is use a CANUSB device connected to CAN L and H from HU and OEM display and to redirect the message through USB to CarPC. The HU has a nice knob for navigation through OEM display menu, thus I can capture the generated messages (like press, left, right) to redirect them through Girder to Centrafuse software.

Is it possible? If yes, how I could avoid that the OEM display to execute the commands received from HU? Is there any solution to freeze the OEM display during the CarPC frontend control? Also, I need to comeback from this mode and to control the OEM display.