emulate can-bus for radio only?

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
jclaudii
How the heck did I end up here?

emulate can-bus for radio only?

Post by jclaudii »

Hello all, new here so you can see my complete lack of information in this subject.

I have an 05 Jeep Wrangler, no canbus, I believe it only has obdII. With that said the factory cd player connectors for the wrangler look the same for the newer model can-bus units. My question is, what does the radio actually send/receive on the can bus to be operational? I would love to modify my dash for a mygig system, but since I have no can-bus these radios will not work. any information is greatly appreciated.
BCasey
What's hacking?

Re: emulate can-bus for radio only?

Post by BCasey »

dont know about the jeeps but i got a Chrysler 300, and the 05 300's have the can bus just a slower speed compared to the 08 (when the mygig came out). lots of work was done to refrofit the MyGig to an 05 300, magnum, charger and an adapter was built my coastaletech.

If you in fact have the slower speed can bus then you should be able to use this adapter as well. If however you are correct about not having the can bus at all then you will need a different route

link to the adapter: http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG_ADAPTER.htm

EDIT: After checking the adapter guide it does not have the wrangler listed so im guessing that it can not be used in ur situation
handyandy87

Post by handyandy87 »

Hi all. I'm a newbie. Following up on this thread, I am also trying to find a way to use a Can-Bus Chrysler radio (RES, cd/mp3, sirius) on the bench, without any Can-Bus. Is it possible to eliminate the Can-bus circuit from the radio, and make it power up (ie, cut a circuit and jump the B+ directly to a relay?) It doesn't have external amps, and is a completely self contained unit (no NAV, No cams, etc).

Alternatively, is there a cheap circuit that can be hooked in a loop on the Can-bus+ and - pins, that will allow the unit to work out of the car. Ie: something that loops the correct signals so the unit turns on and stays on?

I know it's way more complex, and I have been reading this and other websites for many hours, but it just seems a shame to throw all of these "pull-out" units in the trash, for lack of a "software key" to turn them on in another application. Any help would be appreciated. -Andy
qwikgmc

Post by qwikgmc »

This is exactly what i,m looking for too Id like to run the mygig on other cars
I was even thinking of using an ecm from a mygig car, powering it up just for that signal, Could this work?
tecman4287

Post by tecman4287 »

Using a PCM will not work for powering the radio up, on a can bus vehicle you don't even need an operational PCM for radio operation. The PCM operates on what Chrysler refers to as there can c bus, the radio operates on the can b bus side, and so does most of the interior modules. All can signals are passed through the tipm(totally integrated power control module) for bothe can b, can c, and diag can c, it is the hub for all communication. Now I have tries to bench power a tipm and wire a can bus Mygig out of a lx with no luck, on the other hand have tested a 2008 vehicle with can bus and was reluctant to find out that with every module disconnected except the tipm, the ccn(cluster), and the radio the radio still stays powered up. Take the ccn out of the picture, remove power and then try to turn everything back on with just the tipm and radio, the radio will not turn on, telling me that it must recieve a msg transmitted by the cluster in order to properly wake up. But I have yet to obtain a cluster to bench test and verify so testing has come to a halt temporarily