Cluster Replacement?

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
JKRU15
How the heck did I end up here?

Cluster Replacement?

Post by JKRU15 » 2016 Nov 21 02:34

I'm considering doing a project to upgrade my 2015 rubicon's cluster to be more modern and add some of the EVIC info that i don't currently get like tire pressure. Now i haven't fully investigated how hard this would be so I'm hoping some folks here will set my expectations right. I'm not expecting a walk in the park but I was hoping to use something like a raspberry pi and an LCD and display the information connected to CAN. I guess what I'm imagining in the end would be a cross between a head unit and something like dash command. I like the WRA-X109 but it's expensive, plus integrating more into the cluster would be less conspicuous for an open top Jeep. For now I'll just keep it simple and see if i can just display some basic EVIC info.

Something like this would be great, but is it possible? Let me know your thoughts.
http://www.librow.com/cases/case-9

Keiron
How the heck did I end up here?

Re: Cluster Replacement?

Post by Keiron » 2017 Mar 19 06:35

Absolutely possible, however, hellishly difficult to get all the Can codes and respond accordingly. You'll have to can sniff the entire codes if you want to remove the cluster completely as otherwise, what happens if you miss a code that should have set off the MIL?

It would be awesome but, without a lot of time invested, not that easy.

poop713
Yes, we CAN hack!

Re: Cluster Replacement?

Post by poop713 » 2017 Apr 07 23:34

what about if I want to use a newer cluster in an older car. well lets say a 2015 charger cluster in my 2014 charger. that changed up the style and looks way better. I've seen it done with a device called AVIDCODE but they don't make them anymore and no longer selling them. a friend of mine has one lucky mofo.