Controlling vehicle by voice!

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Controlling vehicle by voice!

Post by mrdennis87 » 2016 Jan 04 13:37

So I've got my can bus shield hooked up, my VR shield hooked up, and can control lots of things by voice just by saying commands.. Which is awesome! I've got a few more things I need to set up if anyone's interested in helping or viewing the progress?

Access can bus, send packets to control vehicle-Done
Control vehicle by voice-Done
Have it automatically start in the morning for me-not done

I need to use a relay to power the starter. Automotive relays are 12V and need at least 9V to activate :/ Arduino only puts out 5V.
I've successfully recorded and sent packets to start it, just gotta put power to the starter..

Also the drivers door module isn't sent out on the can bus :( so I'm guessing I have to use a relay to control that window.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Re: Controlling vehicle by voice!

Post by linuxkidd » 2016 Jan 04 14:13

Re: 12v relay on Arduino... While messy... you could use a 5v relay to activate a 12v relay..

Congrats on the progress! Any details you're willing to share would help someone else.. I'm sure!

LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Post by mrdennis87 » 2016 Jan 04 15:01

Ty! I don't mind sharing all details, It took me almost 6 months because I couldn't find how to do what I needed to do.. So if I could save someone that time, I'm all for it! So my main thing is, I need to power the starter, by having a constant hot wire at one end, and switched hot wire(to the starter) at other end. But I have to use a 12V relay for this I believe because of the voltage going through it? Or maybe I can use a different relay, not sure. I wonder if I can use something like this:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/2-channel- ... s_shopping

I originally started by using my Arduino, with a sparks fun can bus shield. I wrote a program in C#, using the AT Commands, and was able to figure out how to control the different things by sending the packets I copied. I would first monitor all CAN BUS traffic, press a button (window down), then find the packet that came from the module, and was sent to make that happen. I was able to narrow my monitoring packets down by identifiers from the modules of course. I even used the AT Commands to format the packets coming in, put them into a listbox, then went through the listbox, then split them, and resent each packet. This way I could simply hit monitor, stop, then try all the packets that came through. So much easier :D

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Post by mrdennis87 » 2016 Jan 04 15:05

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2016 Jan 04 15:19

mrdennis87 wrote:... I wonder if I can use something like this:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/2-channel- ... s_shopping
That should work fine as long as the relay can withstand the current that you need to pass through it. The board itself has 12vdc coil driven relays, but the signal to activate them from an Arduino (5vdc) passes through a transistor to step things up via the on-board 12vdc (VCC) connection.

Most modern vehicles have a low current input for the starter circuit (and it's stepped up by heavy duty relays / solenoid under the hood). So, if your vehicle is the same, then this should work just fine. However, if this is the case, you can get away with a non-12vdc fired solution too:
http://amzn.to/1R7QFT8

I have 3 of those and they work great for activating external loads via the Arduino.

The voltage needed to drive the coil can (and often is) different than that being passed through the contactors.

LK

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2016 Jan 04 15:22

Very slick! Congrats again :)
LK

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Post by mrdennis87 » 2016 Jan 04 15:26

Alright cool, I'm going to buy the one with two relays. One for drivers window, other for starter. I'll let you know how they work :p

P.S. One thing I've figured out (at least with early CAN vehicles like mine), is that you can only get can packets for things that already are remotely controlled. I can't get packets for normal radio functions, HVAC, etc.. Because they don't need to go over the network..Only what's on the steering wheel :\

robertoal
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by robertoal » 2016 Mar 02 10:15

In my car there are seperated canbus networks, maybe this is the case with you as well?
BTW: REALLY nicely done! Great project!

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Post by mrdennis87 » 2016 Mar 02 18:58

Thank you! Some vehicles have multiple (usually two-three) CAN BUS networks. One will run on high speed(baud rate), the other on lower.. Usually like the climate control, seat heaters, radio, etc entertainment stuff is on one bus. The other things would be on the other bus.

On mine, I've got access to everything, besides my driver window :\ GMLAN was a one wire setup, and I've tried to connect at different baud rates. I believe I just have the one baud rate setting, that controls everything on the same bus network.

robertoal

Post by robertoal » 2016 Mar 03 05:59

That is a bummer, I hope you get it fixed as well! Would be proper nice if you can have a conversation with your car :)

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Post by mrdennis87 » 2016 Mar 03 11:58

I've got it set up right now, to where I have conversations with the vehicle. She just responds on an LCD screen, instead of by voice until I install some speech onto the VR board (: I'll be like "hey KAT" and she says what do you want now? :D

robertoal

Post by robertoal » 2016 Mar 04 07:29

This I saw indeed on your YouTube film! Very, very cool.
But does she serve beer?!