Chrysler/Jeep - VES/SDAR emulation [VES - resolved!]

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
ksees
How the heck did I end up here?

Re: Chrysler/Jeep - VES/SDAR emulation

Post by ksees » 2015 Apr 21 09:58

Hi latonita,
I'm working right now on the emulator VES.
First, in settings of the FCM module must be set "VES" and "SDAR" as present.
Do you have this radio?
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_radios.htm#RAQ

I have collected CAN-B frames in my Jeeps (WK 2008 Laredo with MyGIG RER & WK 2008 Limited with MyGIG REW ).
VES3 sends frames with Id 322

ksees

Post by ksees » 2015 Apr 22 14:50

I started the project one week ago. I want use Raspberry Pi (or sth similar) as a board computer and media player.

In case of MyGIG radio, all extra devices are activated by configuration message from FCM. In case of any others modules (cluster, memory system, door modules, etc.) it works the same - FCM is the main module, which stores all car settings - and sends them to all modules on CAN-B & CAN-C.
You can customize this settings by starSCAN or WiTech scan tool.

nemiro
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Re: Chrysler/Jeep - VES/SDAR emulation [VES - resolved!]

Post by nemiro » 2017 Apr 16 00:04

Very awesome! Great work!

300SRT

Post by 300SRT » 2017 Jun 21 08:05

latonita wrote:
2017 Mar 30 05:58
Guys, I finally found how to make radio think you have VES installed :) (thanks to user Mensch from http://jeepspb.ru/forum)
No need to update FCM module.
It is very simple:
Need to send following CAN message regularly (i do it every 0.5 sec)
When this command is received by head unit it enables VES input (use MODE button to switch to it).
Plus exact CAN message tells radio in which mode VES module is in right now so head unit can show minimal info (like DVD/AUX/ track number, mm:ss, "no disk", etc...)

Basically the only thing is required to enable AUX is to regularly send 8 bytes command:
CAND ID 0x3dd, len 8, 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Here is a bit more info I reverse engineered in 2 hours after I finally found magic 0x3DD after 2 years of not really active research :)
Info below is not really useful to be honest. I couldn't find way to display text yet, for example.

CAN ID 0x3dd
Length 8 bytes

byte 0 - defines mode of VES so radio unit can show this mode
0 - dvd no disk
1 - dvd disk
2 - dvd chp (?) what is chp? :))
3 - AUX IN mode
4 - dvd file

byte 1 - [
bits 0,1 = 2 high bits of for track # (it uses 10 bits, so track/file/chp number can be in range 1-1023)
bit 2 - 'Pause'
bit 4 - 'Locked'
other bits - ?
]
byte 2 - [lower 8 bits of track #]
byte 3 - ?
byte 4 - ?
byte 5 - MM of MM:SS message
byte 6 - SS of MM:SS message
byte 7 - ?
Hi,

I am looking to broadcast this command on my 2006 300c SRT with an REC radio, what hardware and software do I need to get started? I currently have a bluetooth audio receiver wired in the trunk through the Sirius input but this input also requires an active Sirius signal. The VES aux input seems like an easier way to go since this code is already figured out.

Thank you for your help.

carlos1984

Post by carlos1984 » 2018 May 12 11:47

I used an arduino uno and a can bus sheild, and it seems to work using the posted sketch but the radio turns on and off, I used this can analyzer for windows and it works fine, I can get the radio to power up and stay on outside the car. You do need to have it plugged in to your laptop and the software is a bit iffy but it get the job done.

Audiodoc81

Post by Audiodoc81 » 2018 Aug 13 18:56

I am new to canbus and Arduino. I am having an issue getting 83k3BPS to compile in IDE. It will recognize 125KBPS but 83.3 is not working. Also the shield I have is using 8 MHz crystal as well.

mikhail.rusakov

Post by mikhail.rusakov » 2018 Aug 29 13:52

Hello latonita. I was searching way to activate video input on my cherokee kl. I found this topic. Looks like you can assist because guess it should be quite simular to what you did. probably different codes to be used. I was trying to send you private message but i can't (maybe because i just registered). To not make "empty tallks" here could you please give me you contact information (email, phone, viber or any other). I also from Spb. Probably you will find time and will consult me. If it will lead to result we will share it here.

asp13

Post by asp13 » 2018 Dec 02 12:05

Check this out guys https://www.drive2.ru/l/516861725593567548/
Sorry it's in Russian, but pics are self describing

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2018 Dec 03 10:03

FYI, I just approved the above post, it's a link to someone who made a custom radio with a raspberry pi in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

asp13: thanks for the link, looks like a great project. One small request.. a little more context with links like this. I almost blocked it out of concern it was spam.

Thanks!
LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.