Issues with an interface on a Peugeot 508.

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
manu144x
How the heck did I end up here?

Issues with an interface on a Peugeot 508.

Post by manu144x » 2017 Jun 06 13:53

Hello, I am a little new to this world, although I am a programmer, I still haven't managed to get to the software, over the hardware :)

I own a Peugeot 508 Hybrid (french car) and want to replace my dash unit with something better, so of course I need to somehow decode the can bus so I am able to receive the same messages as the radio. The radio doesn't send out anything, it's basically just displaying information, all the car settings are done via a different system from the steering wheel.

So I thought I buy a recommended dongle, this one: http://shop.8devices.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=54 which they say is fast enough to not miss any can messages, and is natively supported in linux (big advantage for me as it works with native stuff).

I also bought an OBD cable, this one to be precise: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10087
The wiring seem to match with the car, as it also has pins 6 and 14 for Can bus (high/low).
It seems Peugeot is running an 11bit 500Kbps CAN bus.

I plug it in, the car is stopped, only accessories on, but as soon as I initialize the interface, everything goes crazy :) It's like it disturbs the canbus, every possible error appears on the dash, it lights up like a christmas tree.

Of course, as soon as I take it out, turn it off and restart the car all is good. But I haven't been able to get a single frame.

I want to ask what am I missing, I did initialize the interface with ifconfig at 500kbps, am I missing something? Is the cable wrong?

I can handle it technically but I just can't find information since this domain is very secretive it seems.

Any ideas what I should do? Btw, this is exactly what I want to do: http://medium.com/@alexandreblin/can-bu ... 27f2b1709a

Thank you.

poop713
Yes, we CAN hack!

Re: Issues with an interface on a Peugeot 508.

Post by poop713 » 2017 Jun 06 22:55

It's probably the wrong cable, I've used a couple thet havnt done anything and some that make all my lights turn on lol

manu144x

Post by manu144x » 2017 Jun 07 08:42

So you think the cable is actually not the right one because of the standard?

I will try to see which one is the good one. I didn't notice that there are many standards around. I suspected that it was a hardware issue that was affecting the bus itself, it's the only way I think it can mess it up, if it would have been a software issue I would have had errors connecting, errors initializing, stuff like that.

I will look around and see if maybe there's actually a different cable I may need. Thank you.

poop713
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by poop713 » 2017 Jun 07 14:30

yea cable or maybe the wrong baud rate.

manu144x

Post by manu144x » 2017 Jun 08 13:01

I think it may be the cable, I saw some other topic saying that the sparkfun cable is not compatible with it, and another one is needed. I ordered it and let's hope for the best :)

JaredReabow

Post by JaredReabow » 2018 Oct 22 10:07

Did you manage to resolve this?
I worked on my 407 and can confirm if you set the incorrect baud rate, it will make the vehicle go nuts.

manu144x

Post by manu144x » 2019 Jan 19 21:06

Yes I ordered a different cable and it worked.

However I only have access to OBD data, as the can bus is not exposed directly, only through the diagnosis interface which sends the command to the BSI (That's how the main computer is called in PSA cars) to open up access to the BSI. And then that one will relay commands back and forth.

However another alternative could be using it trying to see where the bus is exposed for aftermarket alarm systems.

But right now I didn't have much time.

One good news is that I bought a diagnosis interface and I saw that all the messages are actually in one giant firebase database.

I will try to see if I can reverse engineer something from there, might be interesting.