Issues with an interface on a Peugeot 508.

Ideas and discussion of what to do with the CAN Bus ( i.e. XMDirect, iPod, Carputer, etc... )
manu144x
How the heck did I end up here?

Issues with an interface on a Peugeot 508.

Post by manu144x » 2017 Jun 06 13:53

Hello, I am a little new to this world, although I am a programmer, I still haven't managed to get to the software, over the hardware :)

I own a Peugeot 508 Hybrid (french car) and want to replace my dash unit with something better, so of course I need to somehow decode the can bus so I am able to receive the same messages as the radio. The radio doesn't send out anything, it's basically just displaying information, all the car settings are done via a different system from the steering wheel.

So I thought I buy a recommended dongle, this one: http://shop.8devices.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=54 which they say is fast enough to not miss any can messages, and is natively supported in linux (big advantage for me as it works with native stuff).

I also bought an OBD cable, this one to be precise: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10087
The wiring seem to match with the car, as it also has pins 6 and 14 for Can bus (high/low).
It seems Peugeot is running an 11bit 500Kbps CAN bus.

I plug it in, the car is stopped, only accessories on, but as soon as I initialize the interface, everything goes crazy :) It's like it disturbs the canbus, every possible error appears on the dash, it lights up like a christmas tree.

Of course, as soon as I take it out, turn it off and restart the car all is good. But I haven't been able to get a single frame.

I want to ask what am I missing, I did initialize the interface with ifconfig at 500kbps, am I missing something? Is the cable wrong?

I can handle it technically but I just can't find information since this domain is very secretive it seems.

Any ideas what I should do? Btw, this is exactly what I want to do: http://medium.com/@alexandreblin/can-bu ... 27f2b1709a

Thank you.

poop713
Yes, we CAN hack!

Re: Issues with an interface on a Peugeot 508.

Post by poop713 » 2017 Jun 06 22:55

It's probably the wrong cable, I've used a couple thet havnt done anything and some that make all my lights turn on lol

manu144x

Post by manu144x » 2017 Jun 07 08:42

So you think the cable is actually not the right one because of the standard?

I will try to see which one is the good one. I didn't notice that there are many standards around. I suspected that it was a hardware issue that was affecting the bus itself, it's the only way I think it can mess it up, if it would have been a software issue I would have had errors connecting, errors initializing, stuff like that.

I will look around and see if maybe there's actually a different cable I may need. Thank you.

poop713
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by poop713 » 2017 Jun 07 14:30

yea cable or maybe the wrong baud rate.

manu144x

Post by manu144x » 2017 Jun 08 13:01

I think it may be the cable, I saw some other topic saying that the sparkfun cable is not compatible with it, and another one is needed. I ordered it and let's hope for the best :)

JaredReabow

Post by JaredReabow » 2018 Oct 22 10:07

Did you manage to resolve this?
I worked on my 407 and can confirm if you set the incorrect baud rate, it will make the vehicle go nuts.