iPod remote work in progress!

Project related announcements. Milestones, etc...
linuxkidd
Site Admin

iPod remote work in progress!

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Oct 25 11:31

Thanks to TonyB... He's working on a perl module to allow remote control of the iPod!!

Way to go TonyB!!

and... THANKS!
If you can read this, the light is still red.

TonyB
What's hacking?

Post by TonyB » 2005 Nov 01 13:46

Due to my incredibly crappy soldering skills, I managed to screw up both the plugs I got from the stash of connectors bought with the donated funds :( I'll try to combine the pieces into a working connector this week, but I've already tried once... Worst case, I'll get a few of my own so I don't keep wasting the community's parts.

On the plus side, I do have some completely untested Perl code that looks like it should be sending the right data, based on the info I've found on the web. I hope it parses the messages you get back from the iPod too, but since I don't have a working cable, I really have no idea.

http://www.blight.com/~tony/Device-iPod.tar.gz

You'll need Device::SerialPort installed already. The program tryit in there should print out some info about the iPod and then give you a menu of things you can do.
1964 Ddoge 440
1965 Dart GT
2005 Dodge Magnum

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Nov 01 18:40

TonyB wrote:Due to my incredibly crappy soldering skills, I managed to screw up both the plugs I got from the stash of connectors bought with the donated funds :( I'll try to combine the pieces into a working connector this week, but I've already tried once... Worst case, I'll get a few of my own so I don't keep wasting the community's parts.
What about if you just get a pre-soldered connector? L.K. can pass one off to me and I can do it at work. We have everything from regular solder stations to Wave Soldering ... and I have had plenty of years doing just about everything with an iron.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Nov 01 19:58

TonyB wrote:Due to my incredibly crappy soldering skills, I managed to screw up both the plugs I got from the stash of connectors bought with the donated funds :(
I'll ship ya out a few more in the next couple of days.. I'm gonna try my hand at soldering them as well. Good work on getting this turned around so quickly!

Thanks!!

tonyt
Site Admin

Post by tonyt » 2005 Nov 02 07:56

Lets get hot on this fellas! :)
Share what you learn....

TonyB
What's hacking?

Post by TonyB » 2005 Nov 02 11:25

linuxkidd wrote: I'll ship ya out a few more in the next couple of days.. I'm gonna try my hand at soldering them as well. Good work on getting this turned around so quickly!
That would be great! I promise to get it right this time. :)

What happened was that I had an old old dirty old soldering iron that wouldn't heat up the parts enough to get the solder to flow well and I ended up with big blobs and bridged pins...

So I went out and got a new iron. The wires for the serial port went on so well that I thought I'd go ahead and connect up everything else I wanted (power, audio, USB...). Well, this new iron is a lot hotter than the old one, and I gave it a little too much solder at one point, and it wicked it back into the connector and bridged 6 or 7 pins together. Those little pins are impossible to clean out after you mess up.

I should have stopped while I was ahead
1964 Ddoge 440
1965 Dart GT
2005 Dodge Magnum

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Nov 02 16:34

I feel your Frustration! Trust me... I'm in the middle of soldering mine up as I type.. ( Wife already cursed at me cause she burned her hand on the Soldering Iron.. )

I've found that the best way to keep from wicking the whole thing up is to pull the one pin you want to solder up away from the others, and make it so that it's pointing slighly down ( away from the connector ) while you solder it.. That way if the solder get's ta flow'n, it'll run down the wire, and not the connector.. :)

Big pain in the ARSE!

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Nov 02 21:32

Ok gents... seems I made a fundamental mistake in utilizing the iPod over it's onboard serial port.. After trying unsuccessfully to use TonyB's code, I started doing some checking...

As it turns out, RS-232 voltages swing from +12v ( Logic 1 ) to -12v ( Logic 0 ).

iPod's Serial port operates on 3.3v. THUS.. there's a smidge of possibility that I've cooked the serial portion of my iPod.. But we won't know for certain till I get the appropriate Level shifter and place it inline with my fabricated cable.

Just though you all should get the update... Oh, the Line level audio output and +12v charging of my 3rd Gen iPod over my newly made Doc cable work GREAT!.. :)

SStreet
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by SStreet » 2005 Nov 03 12:31

linuxkidd,

I don't think you should have cooked your serial interface. If the specs say it is a RS-232 -- then it better handle +/- 12V.

However, I did a quick search and found a kit for making the serial interface.

http://www.podconsole.com/displayProduc ... tegoryId=1

Looks like a bit of a board you might need to assist getting your project completed.

TonyB
What's hacking?

Post by TonyB » 2005 Nov 04 10:54

SStreet wrote:linuxkidd,
I don't think you should have cooked your serial interface. If the specs say it is a RS-232 -- then it better handle +/- 12V.
That's the thing. There aren't any public specs.

Are the serial port pins on the dock connector directly wired up to the serial pins on the remote control connector? 'cause I've seen info that you have to convert to TTL voltages through the remote connector (http://ipodlinux.org/Serial_Port), but nothing about doing that for the dock connector. Maybe it's just supposed to be understood...
1964 Ddoge 440
1965 Dart GT
2005 Dodge Magnum

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Nov 04 10:57

Ya.. that's where I ran into trouble to.. No body has a quick and dirty diagram of an iPod Doc serial cable... So, I'll throw together the TTL-Serial ( actaully.. I may just buy the podconsole parts, and use them on the doc ) and try it out...

TonyB
What's hacking?

Post by TonyB » 2005 Nov 04 13:13

A little update:

No new code, but I took some time to add some pod documentation for the iPod module. Still at the same link http://www.blight.com/~tony/Device-iPod.tar.gz

Another thing I found from reading is that there's a response code 0x00, 0x01 for at least some of the requests. My current code dosen't look for those, and I'm not sure under what circumstances that response gets returned. So if you get a working cable and the response messages get out of sync, maybe that's what's going on.
1964 Ddoge 440
1965 Dart GT
2005 Dodge Magnum

codekey
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by codekey » 2005 Nov 04 23:35

TonyB wrote:
SStreet wrote:linuxkidd,
That's the thing. There aren't any public specs.

Are the serial port pins on the dock connector directly wired up to the serial pins on the remote control connector? 'cause I've seen info that you have to convert to TTL voltages through the remote connector (http://ipodlinux.org/Serial_Port), but nothing about doing that for the dock connector. Maybe it's just supposed to be understood...
4th, 5th and mini has two serial ports, the 3rd generation disables the top port if the dock connector is used.

0V = low
2.85V - 3.465V = high

Using a MAX232 chip i can connect directly to the ipod bottom connector using 5v TTL voltage. This is using a 3rd, Mini and Nano. But to be safe you can use a 2.2k resistor in series.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Nov 04 23:50

codekey wrote: 4th, 5th and mini has two serial ports, the 3rd generation disables the top port if the dock connector is used.

0V = low
2.85V - 3.465V = high

Using a MAX232 chip i can connect directly to the ipod bottom connector using 5v TTL voltage. This is using a 3rd, Mini and Nano. But to be safe you can use a 2.2k resistor in series.
This is good info.. :) I went ahead and bought 3 of the podconsole devices.. I can use this via the doc connector serial I/O lines... Should be in sometime next week. Figure it's well worth $20 for someone to surface mount an IC, Capacitor, and diode on a nifty circuit board.. :)

TonyB
What's hacking?

Post by TonyB » 2005 Nov 28 11:12

It's been pretty quiet for a while around here. Thought I'd post about the extremely meager progress.

My iPod serial port parts are supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I'll have something solid this time next week assumming that I didn't blow out the serial port on my iPod before when I connected it directly to my PC...
1964 Ddoge 440
1965 Dart GT
2005 Dodge Magnum