Microcontroller Progress

Project related announcements. Milestones, etc...
Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Microcontroller Progress

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 06 20:54

I now have two of the microcontrollers to play with. Over the next couple of weeks I plan on getting them to talk via the CAN bus to each other. Once that is working, hooking it up to the car for the next phase should hopefully go painless.

If all goes well with the MCU's then we will have a working interface that is cheaper than the CAN232 / CANUSB with a lot more power.

05MagnumRT
What's hacking?

Post by 05MagnumRT » 2005 Sep 07 11:08

That's awesome MadMax! I'm glad you're getting this figured out.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Sep 07 13:50

I'm glad he's figure'n it out too!! :) I'm work'n the CAN Bus decoding.. he's work'n on figuring out the hardware for the 'Little black box' devices...

Very sweet progress!
If you can read this, the light is still red.

BrilliantBlackHemi
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by BrilliantBlackHemi » 2005 Sep 07 16:54

All of you guys are awesome at the progress being made. Keep up the good work.

nick_danger

Post by nick_danger » 2005 Sep 08 16:15

Can I get a "\/\/00t!!1"?

You guys are awesome! Keep up the great work!

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 08 16:26

nick_danger wrote:You guys are awesome! Keep up the great work!
Save the cheers for a little while ... I can feel a lot of pain coming before the pain killers. I would venture to say we will be in the "slow" phase for a while. Software development from the decoding end of the street will go slow with burst of enlightenment from time to time and on the Microcontroller side of the house ... I think it just goes. Every now and then I get a couple of brain cells to spark :)

One thing that everyone can help in is the decoding of the data. I know that something as simple as finding a pattern in the message traffic could end up being the Rosetta Stone for bus traffic. I know that the decoding work that has happened already, and I am getting to blind to help those gents, has encompassed a lot of hard work mix with a little pattern recognition from time to time.

Frankly my party starts when I get a unit to talk to the car and everything on my hardware side talks better than what we already have to work with. I shall cheer then.

Until then, Pizza donations are welcome :)

nick_danger

Post by nick_danger » 2005 Sep 09 13:42

Mad Max wrote:Until then, Pizza donations are welcome :)
Breakfast of champions.

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 10 08:43

nick_danger wrote:
Mad Max wrote:Until then, Pizza donations are welcome :)
Breakfast of champions.
Don't forget that it must be cold pizza ... and warm beer!! Now you are talking!

Fred

Post by Fred » 2005 Sep 19 16:13

Anything new on this yet?

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Ugh!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 19 19:21

Fred wrote:Anything new on this yet?
Yeah ... I haven't done much. My car pooped and I had to buy a new one ... my girlfriend has been sick, its the end of the Fiscal year and work sucks. Other than that I am making progress.

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Something ...

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 19 21:33

Fred wrote:Anything new on this yet?
I finally got off my rear and got some stuff done tonight.

This might not seem like much but its a very positive step in the right direction.

I was able to setup my CAN transmitter on the microcontroller to send in "Loopback" mode and I actually received what I sent.

So what does all of that mean ... it equates to I set everything up correctly and I was able to transmit a message to the board in a loop fashion internal to itself. This is a good test method to see if the internal CAN circuits are doing their thing correctly. I need to make a cable to interface between my two microcontrollers and then I can change the code to bounce messages between the two of them.

Once that works, I need to work on the "CAN232" emulation part of the code so I can type in messages to send and have each unit respond accordingly.

A lot of the information for the CAN bus and the controller on my MCU is clear as mud :( So I have to put on my hip waders and go for it.

Hopefully I will get something better for progress within the next few days. Just have to get to the electronics store for some connectors etc..

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

More progress!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 21 21:43

Someone give me a cold Bud!

Ok ... the good news is I have started writing the CAN232 Emulation mode for the MCU. The better news is ... its working so far.

As of now the board will, at power on reset, boot into CAN232 Emulation mode. I only have the "V" command working and I have two new commands that don't exist working.

The "V" command just shows the "CAN232" software revision level. Here it will show the MCU's flash revision level.

The other two commands that I have added are "E" and "e". These commands will cause the CAN232 emulation to exit and kick you into a menu driven system.

With the menu system, I plan on putting various utilities in there to help setup the ACR and AMR registers along with allowing flash routines to execute to "store" any new settings. I don't want to have the MCU flashable from the CAN232 mode because crap can happen as we all know!

My next step will be to use the MCU's CAN bus in internal loopback to get the following commands to work.

"t" Transmit a 11 bit ID message
"T" Transmit a 29 bit Extended ID message

The system will then echo me the transmitted message and this will help debug the receive routines.

I will also be changing a lot of the CAN232 commands because they wont be applicable to the MCU's CAN bus and I will be adding extra commands to enhance the emulation mode.

That's it for now.

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Status Update

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Sep 25 22:11

I now have the "t" command working.

The system will parse text input from the serial port, the computer its attached to, and create a CAN message for an 11 Bit ID message.

Next step ... 29 Bit ID

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Re: Status Update

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Oct 01 14:28

Mad Max wrote:I now have the "t" command working.
The "t" command is now fully functional, and in addition to the MCU transmitting the CAN message, the system code has been written to parse incoming CAN traffic and send it to the Serial Port.

The next step is to create a message bouncing system for the other MCU board and test the system with a "live" bus and not in loop back mode.