Sirius Channel update & Signal loss...

Project related announcements. Milestones, etc...
linuxkidd
Site Admin

Sirius Channel update & Signal loss...

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 17 22:19

Captures available! We've added a few more captures tonight.. TonyT came over, and we tore into the rear end of the magnum... So we could disconnect the Sirius unit and then re-connect it to get the 'Updating channels...' dialog..

So, now we've captured this event start to finish. As well as the system w/ radio on while the sirius unit was disconnected. We also captured the signal loss of the sirius ( which sends a signal to the head unit to mute the audio ).

Have fun with it. ( Oh, the can_logger is Here )

LK
If you can read this, the light is still red.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 20 23:37

Making headway.... Figured out the Genre to channel mapping, and how to tell the end of the data set... still working logistics of the numbered data that comes with the channel titles & channel numbers.

Just want everyone to know we're still here and making progress..

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 21 22:27

Have decoded the entire channel's section of the update. Working on the Genre section of the update now..

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 22 09:48

Entire 'Updating Channels...' data decoded. Working on coding up a Sirius emulator for XMDirect!!!

Also, check the gallery for pics from the data collection session w/ Me and TonyT!

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 25 07:31

Ok... one sticking point.. ( Small )... XM has a channel # 256... the Sirius setup on these vehicles only allows for channels up to 255... So, since the next closest channel is 247, I figure mapping channel 256 to 255 shouldn't make too much a fuss.. Anyone care to comment?

I'm guessing that they will probably never go above this channel number... but, I guess if they do, I'll have to rethink this.

Other than that, I've got the channel update data duplicated, now working on the Genre update data.

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Aug 25 12:46

I have a dumb question ... does XM channels start at 1 or 0? And the same goes for Sirius.

I guess I am thinking that they might be going 0-255 or 1-256. Just a thought. I do not have either unit so this is a far flung idea.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 25 12:48

Sirius is 1 to 255, XM Channels is 1-256, but they have a 0 - > Special channelf or XM Radio ID.

Fred
How the heck did I end up here?

Post by Fred » 2005 Aug 25 21:44

Two items, first, channel 0 would have to be functional at release, so that average joe consumer can activate a radio, and if it's been de-activated, the units will only tune to 0 or 0 and 1 I think, how Sirius locks to 184 when you're not activated.

Second, question here, are you planing to do a real channel update or just a canned (no pun intended) pseudo-update? I suppose the converter would have to be able to read all the data from the xmdirect, parse it like CSV style into a different script to convert to Sirius receiver compatible? Or is there a far simpler method to do it?

How does the genre work in this setup, is it treated as another column of data for each channel that is then used to sort channels by the genre, or is there a separate table in use?

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 25 22:26

The first Packet of each Channel's information contains the following:

Flag Bit, Line Flag Bit, Channel #, Genre ID #... then the remaining 4 bytes are ascii data for the channel name

The Initial flag bits are an indexed key that decrease every other channel, with the exception of the first channel's data which uses Flag bit of 189 ( signal of the first packet of the channel update ).

Oh, and did I mention that the channels are sent to the head unit in reverse order?

Ok, Line Flag bit... This one signifies which packet of the update is being sent for the current channel. And is different for the 1st channel of a specific "Flag Bit" ( Not to be confused with the Line flag bit we are describing here ), and the 2nd channel of a specific "Flag Bit"... These numbers always decrease as the channel data is comming closer to an end.

Ya know what... this will be easier to explain in HTML... give me a day or so, and I'll have it posted in the wiki... It's not a difficult scheme, but it's hard to explain in straight text...

The Genre data follows the Channel data, and is a little more simple.. it has a Flag bit, and a 'Line count' bit if you will.. followed by the genre id #, then the ascii text of the genre name.

If your curious beyond this before I get the decode data posted, check out the CAN Logger, Select 'Sirius Reconnected:: Good' for the Run, and CANid 3BF then hit "Submit"

You'll see an entire channel update process. ( At least all the data comming from the Sirius unit for it.. )

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 25 22:42

Fred wrote:Two items, first, channel 0 would have to be functional at release, so that average joe consumer can activate a radio, and if it's been de-activated, the units will only tune to 0 or 0 and 1 I think, how Sirius locks to 184 when you're not activated.
I don't think I'll be able to have channel 0 come through the Nav... I think the easiest would be to have the end user Activate his XM based on the XM ID number on the package of his XMDirect... ( It's on the package ).

The 'Locked down' channels for XM is handled by the Channels your XM Receiver will see... So, during the Channel update, if you're not activated, you'll only get specific channels from the XM Receiver...
Fred wrote:Second, question here, are you planing to do a real channel update or just a canned (no pun intended) pseudo-update? I suppose the converter would have to be able to read all the data from the xmdirect, parse it like CSV style into a different script to convert to Sirius receiver compatible? Or is there a far simpler method to do it?
It will be a live satellite update... Data grabbed from the XM receiver, converted to emulate the Sirius data and piped onto the CAN Bus...
Fred wrote:How does the genre work in this setup, is it treated as another column of data for each channel that is then used to sort channels by the genre, or is there a separate table in use?
Check the post above....

If you would like to see a real example of some code getting generated from the XM Receiver... Check out http://www.canhack.org/XMD/list.cgi

It's a work in progress, but is a good start... :)

( Please be patient with that link... it is Polling the XM Satellites for the data before it displays anything... this can take up to a minute.. If it display's jiberish, that means that I need to power off and back on my XMPCR [ same instruction set as the XMDirect.. and it's what I have hooked to my server.. however, it's not as stable as the XMDirect ] )

Ahhhh... I keep rambling... Ok, go check the stuff out... I'll have an HTML page up of the channel and genre decode within a day or so..

diggler86

Re: Sirius Channel update & Signal loss...

Post by diggler86 » 2011 Nov 19 07:54

what happened to the gallery?

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2011 Nov 19 20:22

Appears to be working for me?

Gallery Link

Does that link not work for you?

LK

diggler86

Post by diggler86 » 2011 Nov 20 07:53

that one does, but all of the other links i found went here
http://www.canhack.org/gallery

thanks

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2011 Dec 06 13:04

Ah, yes... there was a gallery module within Drupal that linked into the Gallery2 install. It seems that it broke during some upgrade. I didn't retro-scan the DB to update the links.

My apologies for the inconvenience...