We have funds, now... What to buy?

Project related announcements. Milestones, etc...

What to buy?

Poll ended at 2005 Aug 24 11:01

CANUSB
25%
Codekey's Circuit ( When available )
No votes
Demo board found by MadMax
No votes
Other ( Please post your thoughts )
25%
Wait till we need something new...
50%

Total votes: 4

linuxkidd
Site Admin

We have funds, now... What to buy?

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 10 11:01

Ok everyone...

We have $180 in our funds. But the big question... What to buy?

As most of you know, we have been loaned a CAN232, and have it fully operational, and logging data.. This is not the project's to keep, so... the following delima exists.

There are at least 3 items competing in my mind for this purchase.

1: CodeKey's circuit...
2: The new Demo board MadMax has found...
3: CANUSB ( original goal )

What do you all think? Is there something else ( aside from the list above ) that should be the first purchase?

All input is greatly appreciated!
If you can read this, the light is still red.

codekey
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by codekey » 2005 Aug 10 12:04

I'm looking into the FDTI USB chip right now. So the board will be redesigned.

RadarmagneT
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by RadarmagneT » 2005 Aug 10 12:15

I will buy the USB or 232 interface myself, so I think the custom parts would be the first to produce. But, you DO need one of these to finalize any tester, cable, tap instruction design so I voted for that.

Finding a place or someone to etch and assemble a device. This place could then sell it for construction and shipping to others.

I think if we went to LXforums,etc and said... Group buy on CAN test device, where the purchase could, essentially, be a donation but also something physical others can use to get involved.

That way more than one group can collect and analyze data as well as test insertion of data.
[/b]
RadarmagneT
2006 Red Charger R/T...

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

What to do ...

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Aug 10 12:34

I would say that the best bet, for now, would be hold onto the donations. As of today, one of the CAN232 interfaces died and we have one still working. I recommend holding onto some of the funds for replacement parts if needed.

I wouldn't mind seeing others buy their own units, assuming they own the vehicle in question, and help with the data mapping. Of all of the items we need most it would be data decoding etc..

All of the pretty units in the world won't do you a thing if you have no clue what you are looking at.

I am currently working with a HCSX12 Microcontroller board that has built-in CAN buses. Frankly it is cheaper than the CAN232 and the CANUSB, but software has to be written to get it to do at least what they are capable of first.

Just to recap again ... data data data ... decoded data!! That is the most vital thing at the moment. However the project gets it and by however many teams, it should be at the top of the list.

<< stepping down from soapbox now >>

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 10 13:03

RadarmagneT wrote:I think if we went to LXforums,etc and said... Group buy on CAN test device, where the purchase could, essentially, be a donation but also something physical others can use to get involved.
I think this is definitely something to consider. Just a matter of getting software that 'anyone' can use...

I think the software we have for Linux is good.. but I don't have anything for Windows... ( Sure, you could install Active Perl, Windows MySQL, and patch the software we have to it.. but it's not exactly click and go )

Anyone want to put something together for windows for this?? ( if worse comes to worse, they could always just do an ascii transfer in Hyperterm, and we could run a script over it to punch it in the DB on this end..)

I'm gonna do a little re-writing on the can-logger... gonna have a slot for detailed description of run.
If you can read this, the light is still red.

RadarmagneT
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by RadarmagneT » 2005 Aug 10 20:38

linuxkidd wrote: I think the software we have for Linux is good.. but I don't have anything for Windows...
Actually, there are plenty of people using linux so that may give the control group the project needs.
Generally, w/linux, you will have users that will not need hand holding to get things working.

Of course, the future software design should keep x-platform (even Mac) in mind with how the code is written.
RadarmagneT
2006 Red Charger R/T...

RadarmagneT
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by RadarmagneT » 2005 Aug 12 00:20

RadarmagneT wrote:Of course, the future software design should keep x-platform (even Mac) in mind with how the code is written.
amendment ...
that's the reason I suggested java, it has serial and "close to binary" run time.
If designed correctly, it could work in a browser...

...hmm, sampling someones car remotely ;-)
RadarmagneT
2006 Red Charger R/T...