First CAN ID mapped...

Project related announcements. Milestones, etc...
linuxkidd
Site Admin

First CAN ID mapped...

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 05 23:06

I belive I've found the sirius radio CAN ID: 3BD

Captured content for a song change in one of my test captures...

Updating the Wiki..
If you can read this, the light is still red.

codekey
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by codekey » 2005 Aug 06 11:04

Just to let you know, some nodes have more than 1 ID. The radio itself has at least 7 ID's and the Sirius receiver has at least 3 ID's, at least what i remember off the top of my head. 0x1BD is another Sat ID. The minimum to get the audio port open without the Sat receiver hooked up is to send...
0x1BD, 0x09, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00

To close it...
0x1BD, 0x85, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00.

Mad Max
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by Mad Max » 2005 Aug 06 16:52

Do the various devices have multiple ID's to allow different hardware sections to talk on a common bus or do you know if it is just some crazy scheme because of limitations in data variants for each ID?

Like the 3BD ID that LK found ... he was showing me today how its byte structure was and the way the data package was formed. Can I assume that the ID of 3BD is basically just for the song data ... name etc.. and the other types of controls that you have like volume etc. have other ID's with byte packets for their value ranges?

TonyB
What's hacking?

Post by TonyB » 2005 Aug 06 17:35

I'm just making stuff up, but it sounds to me like the IDs are more tied to message types than actual devices. So, If the satelite receiver wants to tell the bus the name of the song that it's playing, it uses ID 38D. And anyone that's interested in the name of the song the satelite is playing (say, the radio head-end or the EVIC display) listens for messages with that ID.

Another good example might be a wheel speed sensor sending out messages with ID 123. There's several devices that are interested in wheel speed data, like the engine computer, trans computer, antilock brake module, speedometer, etc, so they'll all listen for messages with ID 123.
1964 Ddoge 440
1965 Dart GT
2005 Dodge Magnum

codekey
CAN? Tin or aluminum?

Post by codekey » 2005 Aug 07 02:14

Mad Max wrote:Do the various devices have multiple ID's to allow different hardware sections to talk on a common bus or do you know if it is just some crazy scheme because of limitations in data variants for each ID?

Like the 3BD ID that LK found ... he was showing me today how its byte structure was and the way the data package was formed. Can I assume that the ID of 3BD is basically just for the song data ... name etc.. and the other types of controls that you have like volume etc. have other ID's with byte packets for their value ranges?
Yeah, 0x3BD is for Artist and Title info. The first byte tells the radio what line to update. For instance MSB, 4x is for one line and 3x is the other. LSB, bit0 clears the line, bit1 not quite sure yet but seems to show the text, bit2 seems to tell the radio their is more data. So, 0x43 clears the line and then displays the text sent. 0x45 clears the text and has more text. 0x42 displays the final text.

0x1BD: first byte open or closes audio port and may also signal that the Satellite receiver is present. second byte tells the radio what channel to display. the third and fourth one i have not had a chance to study yet.

linuxkidd
Site Admin

Post by linuxkidd » 2005 Aug 07 07:44

Ya.. I started figuring out the extra ID's last night. Very interesting stuff. I think I have all the data captured & figured out for a channel change now... I'm going to do some more captures today and see what I can come up with.

Codekey: if you have more ID's lay'n around someplace.. feel free to share! :) Thanks for all your help!
If you can read this, the light is still red.