07 Jeep parkview camera into an 05 Grand Cherokee. Need help

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
JTS97Z28
How the heck did I end up here?

07 Jeep parkview camera into an 05 Grand Cherokee. Need help

Post by JTS97Z28 »

First post here great site!! Im not sure if anyone can help me with this here but I have an 05 grand Cherokee Limited. As some of you may know the Parkview backup camera system was introduced onto the 07 Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee's. I am trying to add this to my 05 Grand Cherokee Limited. I have purchased what I thought to be all the required parts and even installed everything. I have the newest REC nav with the 3 pin connector on the back for the camera. I wired everything as per the wire diagrams and the nav does not show anything. Infact, the camera settings dont even come up under system settings in the nav menus. Since I have diagnosed everything the only thing I can come up with now is something to do with a module that doesnt understand a camera is connected in my 05 (since it wasnt available in 05).
Does anyone know if this has something to do with CAN Bus? I spent lots of money and time in the install only to find it not work so im not gonna just give up. So far I have heard the possibility of it having to do with the park assist module, maybe the body control module etc etc.
The 3 pinouts on the back of the REC are Camera return, Camera shield, Camera signal. These all go directly to the camera and the camera then has 2 extra wires one being ground and the other backup lamp feed.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James