CAN sniffing BMW 328i

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
aaspa
How the heck did I end up here?

CAN sniffing BMW 328i

Post by aaspa » 2016 Jun 23 15:40

Hello!
I am a currently working on a project on my BMW 328i 2013. I need to read the steering wheel angle from the can bus.
I have a USB-CAN interface which I would connect to obd2 port. I am stuck on how would I get the data I need(I guess using CAN IDs?)
I have been searching the net for the specific ids but cant seem to find it.Kinda stuck here..
Some help would be awesome!

Thanks!

warlog3

Re: CAN sniffing BMW 328i

Post by warlog3 » 2016 Jul 07 12:07

Hey aaspa,
I am sorry, I can't help you with your issue, but I am stucking at the exact same point.
In my case i got to work with a Golf IV / Astra H or a chrysler, but i can't really figure out how to
find the specific id's...
Have you found any usefull information already?

Monker

Post by Monker » 2017 May 12 04:30

Did either of you get yours fixed?

poop713
What's hacking?

Post by poop713 » 2017 May 12 17:03

have you used canutils with linux? I've used it and man I can find the ID's really quick.

poop713
What's hacking?

Post by poop713 » 2017 May 17 15:56

use "canutils" on linux and then use "cansniffer -cae can0" let it run for a bit then it will filter all the id's then you can press a button and see it show up highlighted. from there you can use a "filter" and sniff only that ID to test it and make sure its the correct one.

mrdennis87
What's hacking?

Post by mrdennis87 » 2017 May 17 16:29

I haven't used 'canutils' myself, but it sounds awesome. When I had nothing, and no money to buy a 2534 device.. I had to be creative. This is what I did:

I wrote software that would log all of the traffic going across the can bus lines. From there, I would hit start logging, then hit the button for my window down, then hit stop logging. Then I was able to click another button in my software, that would actually replay all of the packets, with a small interval. When the window rolled down by itself, I knew the packet must be in my log that I was replaying. From there, I would split the log in half, and retry, and then repeat.

This allowed me to find the exact message (of course it takes time), that rolled my window down. Within the message (Depending on protocol), you can see the module ID. I had three byte headers, so mine was XX YY ZZ where XX = priority byte for arbitration YY = Target ZZ = Source ...

From there, I assumed the ID I found, was the body control module, as that's what usually controls the windows, locks, etc. I was able to send that message, and it worked every time. I did this for all of my windows, locks, seat heaters, lights, radio, etc..

poop713
What's hacking?

Post by poop713 » 2017 May 18 21:23

oh man nice! with canutils I'm able to find the messages really quick too but I'm having trouble sending them. I can run a dump on my can bus and then send the messages to unlock my doors but nothing happens. I'm still trying to read up this to see what I'm doing wrong.