Help? Issue with Jeep Commander and aftermarket head units

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
johnw
How the heck did I end up here?

Help? Issue with Jeep Commander and aftermarket head units

Post by johnw »

Hi all,

I'm fitting a Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD in my 2007 UK spec Jeep Commander. I imported some Peripheral Electronics adapters (CHYAH08 and PESWIX) from the USA and have made up a loom by connecting it to a standard ISO plug.

I connected up the Pioneer and it does seem to operate OK, but unfortunately it somehow resets the language on the Jeep dash computer to German. In the menu system I can change the language from German to English or Italian, but it straight away defaults back to German. if I turn off the computer dash display, within a few seconds it prompts me to set the language again and the process starts again.

If I reconnect the original Jeep stereo, I can then change the language to English, French, Spanish, Italian and German i.e I have more options. Once I select English, the setting is retained and the computer works as it should.

I'm waiting for some feedback from Peripheral Electronics and they have heard of this issue before but so far they are unable to replicate the issue in the USA.

Has anyone else come across this? I find it strange that the Jeep stereo would provide input to language settings - it's the very basic radio/CD player and the only other thing it displays is the clock.

Thanks,

John
BCasey
What's hacking?

Re: Help? Issue with Jeep Commander and aftermarket head units

Post by BCasey »

im not sure but when u figure it out could u post how you solved it or just keep us updated with this.

I have a (sorta) similar issue where when i plug in my computer to the can bus network my measurments go from metric to imperial (im in Canada). and i'm wondering if the harness u have (assuming it plugs into the can bus) is some how sending a message to say I'm German (and the software on the pc im using saying I'm American).

I havent looked into it yet and luckily for me I have the code to the software sending the messages so I should be able to narrow it down but this wont help you if I find the solution but it might help out the company diagnose why it is happening.

keep us updated and I'll do the same whenever I get some time.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I've had no luck with Peripheral Electronics in getting assistance in fixing this issue, but being as I can't find anyone else out there with a Commander solution, I'm currently living with the computer in German.

There are some possible things I could do to resolve it using workarounds. My headunit doesn't really need all the outputs from the CHYAH08 so I could in theory disconnect it completely but use the wiring harness for the speaker and live connections, then pick up an alternative accessory feed (the good old trusty cigarette lighter socket springs to mind). If I did this though, I'd lose the functionality that the PESWIX gives me for the steering wheel controls. I could potentially work around this using the PESWIX and a PESWICAN and wiring it directly in.

From testing, it's not the removal of the standard Jeep stereo that causes the German issue, it's the connection of the CHYAH08 and PESWIX.

The car is going to the local Jeep dealer next week for some warranty work and they've said they'll take a quick look to see if any of their CAN computers can force it back to English.

I'll update if they find anything.
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

I have found a couple of places in the CAN Interface that change when selecting the language and units from my 2007 Dodge Charger's EVIC display.

Message 0x02E, byte 0 => 0x02 => US units, English
Message 0x02E, byte 0 => 0x04 => US units, French
Message 0x02E, byte 0 => 0x08 => US units, Spanish

Message 0x02E, byte 0 => 0x03 => Metric units, English
Message 0x02E, byte 0 => 0x05 => Metric units, French
Message 0x02E, byte 0 => 0x09 => Metric units, Spanish

And in Message 0x09F (A message that the stock head unit sends)
Message 0x09F, byte 8 => 0x01 => US units, English
Message 0x09F, byte 8 => 0x02 => US units, French
Message 0x09F, byte 8 => 0x04 => US units, Spanish

Message 0x09F, byte 8 => 0x11 => Metric units, English
Message 0x09F, byte 8 => 0x12 => Metric units, French
Message 0x09F, byte 8 => 0x14 => Metric units, Spanish

I suspect that PAC and whoever the other manufacturer is only designed the units to operate in English and US units. Another user on this forum reported that his units always reverted to US when using my radio emulation software.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ryan
johnw

Post by johnw »

Thanks for this Ryan.

Interesting though, as in the UK, we would usually select English with US units anyway (we like miles per gallon, PSI etc. rather than the metric units).

Not heard anything from the dealer yet, and I did tell them I wanted costs up front before they did a lot of investigations at £135 per hour!
ecutune

Post by ecutune »

Hello!!!
This is my firt post!!
Im from Barcelona Spain.
I have Jeep G. cherokee 3.0crd 2005
I buy PAC C2R-CHY4 and put in my car but im have the error instrument cluster put in languaje DEUTCH!! headlights put on off and wippers on off but im listen the music :) but my instrument cluster is a discoteque!! lights on off wiper and laguaje of evic in german this is a grand party!!

I can read pic of interface of pac but i dont know how to modify hex program.

This problem have any solution???
I buy Axxess CHTO-013 but this not turn on amp and not sound and not anything.
thanks.
PD: Excuse my english is very poor.