NEWBIE :) Looking for equipment suggestions

General discussion about interfacing with the CAN bus
kb9kst
How the heck did I end up here?

NEWBIE :) Looking for equipment suggestions

Post by kb9kst »

Okay I found this website last night while looking for information on interfacing with the Chrysler CAN BUS.

I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. I have replaced the factory stereo with an in dash carputer. I had UCONNECT and from looking at the service manual I can still use it except I need to be able to activate it by simulating the button presses on the factory stereo. I know I have to pump the audio from the UCONNECT system to my carputer (which I should be able to do).

I highly suspect the two UCONNECT buttons on the stereo send CAN BUS commands and therefore am looking at how to set up a CAN BUS interface between my carputer and the Sebring.

What interface would one suggest and where does it interface to inside the computer? I already am using the diagnostic connector port for OBD-II data. Is it as simple as making your own cable and tapping into CAN BUS wires at a location like the factory radio plug or?

If I can get this going I wouldn't mind doing other vehicle functions as well. From looking over the posts here lots of vehicle items can be controlled this way which is way cool.

Thanks

Jason
Proud owner of a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO w/Perf Package :)
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Re: NEWBIE :) Looking for equipment suggestions

Post by rtgree01 »

I am using the canusb device from http://www.canusb.com That company also makes the can232 device that uses the old school serial port.
Some people have spliced into the cars wiring in the door sill (for lx series cars). I wanted a cleaner solution, so I found the male and female connectors that the factory radio uses and created my own harness. This harness allows me to plug the factory wiring into my connector, and that harness plugs into my factory radio. In my harness, I spliced into the CAN bus signals.

I have seen that some people have built their own device, but I haven't gotten there yet.

At some point, I want to create my own piece of hardware that has Ethernet, regular serial and USB interfaces. This thing will be be able to control my Sirius Radio, factory amp, EVIC, HD radio (through serial), control some other relays, and control everything through the Ethernet or USB interfaces.

ryan
kb9kst

Post by kb9kst »

Looks like I will get the usb device. I am guessing just tap into CAN BUS +, - and also do the ground?

Ryan, since you have done some controlling of vehicle options already I may wish to speak with you in more detail, is this ok?

Thanks

Jason
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

sure!
kb9kst

Post by kb9kst »

I have ordered the usb can bus interface. The website I ordered it from seems a little outdated as it said they weren't expecting any units in until January so we shall see if I get it in a timely manner or not.

Jason
BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey »

thats probably the same site that I had contacted. I emailed them to see if they had any in stock and they said that they did but their web developer just hasn't update the site yet.
kb9kst

Post by kb9kst »

I decided to go ahead and email them then. They said they have some now and it will ship in a couple of days.

Jason
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

glad to hear that a couple of people will be getting a device soon!
BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey »

ya mines flying over the atlantic right now i think lol.
kb9kst

Post by kb9kst »

Ok I got in my CAN USB the other day. Just finished installing it. Wired into the CAN USB network at the radio plug. I am getting nothing. Have CAN BUS - to pin 2 of the CAN USB, CAN BUS + to pin 7 and running ground to pin 3. Are the red and green leds supposed to light up at all?

Anyone with experience care to help out?

Jason
BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey »

heh, im having the same problem.

when u first connect it to ur usb port both red and green lights should blink 3 times.

I'm getting this far, and then i can open a terminal session and issue it commands and get a response but it wont read anything from my car. I set the bit rate using the command "s051C" and open the connection but I get nothing.

I also tried a bunch of the sample programs that came from the canusb web site but im not having any luck with them either

do u see the lights blink 3 times when u connect it to the usb port?
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

I've been busy for a while....

I went and looked at my installation, and I only have the CAN + and CAN - lines hooked up. Also, I've had some problems with the example software... Some of it just locked up on my system. Also, I had some problems with the drivers. There are 2 kinds of drivers. One is a virtual serial port, the other is a FTDI driver that has a different API. According to the documentation, if you have the serial driver, you should at least be able to query the device's status and firmware version ( i think... it's been a while)

What car do you have? I don't know if the year or model makes a different, but I know that it works in a 2007 Charger.
Let me know if you make any progress...

Ryan
BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey »

I went and looked at my installation, and I only have the CAN + and CAN - lines hooked up.
no ground? Just can+ and can- ?? I have can+, can- and ground.
One is a virtual serial port, the other is a FTDI driver that has a different API. According to the documentation, if you have the serial driver, you should at least be able to query the device's status and firmware version
thats all i can seem to do. Which drivers did u end up using the VCP one or the D2XX. I couldnt really figure out how to differentiate them. I followed thier driver installation guide and it didnt really explain how to get just the D2XX driver. So I'm guessing I got both installed right now. Like I said I'm able to connect to the canusb via a terminal and issue it commands and get a response but when my car is plugged in it just doesnt read any messages.
What car do you have? I don't know if the year or model makes a different, but I know that it works in a 2007 Charger.
I got an 07 300. From everything I've read they should be identical in terms of the canbus.

hmm, im gonna have to think on this one, maybe ill have to test my solders and make sure the harness i made works ok... other than that I can't seem to figure it out
rtgree01
Yes, we CAN hack!

Post by rtgree01 »

The other problem that I had was making sure that I set the correct speed....
Here is some code from the canlogger app that linuxkidd wrote originally....
sub open {
my ($self,$autopoll) = @_;

if(!$autopoll) {
$autopoll=0;
}
$self->{PortObj} = new Win32::SerialPort("$self->{_port}")
|| die "Can't open port: $self->{_port} $!\n";

$self->{PortObj}->baudrate($self->{_baud});
$self->{PortObj}->parity('none');
$self->{PortObj}->databits(8);
$self->{PortObj}->stopbits(1);

$self->port_write('C');
$self->port_write('C');
$self->port_write(chr(13) . chr(13));
$self->port_write('s051C') or die("Cannot set 83.3kbaud\n");
$self->port_write('X' . $autopoll) or die("Cannot set NON Autopoll\n");

$self->port_read(100);

$self->port_write('O') or die ("Cannot open CAN Bus\n");
return $self;
}

just a note.... check into the auto poll mode.... it might not report anything if not in that mode...
BCasey
What's hacking?

Post by BCasey »

hmm tried to remove the ground while from my harness and still no luck with the terminal or CANHacker that was posted in another thread...

only thing i can think of is either my harness isn't soldered properly or possibly a driver issue...

ill have to sleep on this one